Wednesday, February 4, 2015

An Interesting Thing about Privilege…


Gender has become one of my favorite subjects. I’ve been partnered with more than one person with fluid or trans or ambiguous gender expression, supported them through finding their truth and figuring out how to live it in the world, and have clients with varying gender expressions. I feel quite solid in my non-binary worldview. Much has been in the news about all the controversy people make over trans people and bathroom usage, tossing around language of predatory behavior and sexualization in the process. I’ve never been one of those. I just figure that people know which door they feel most aligned with going into, and leave it at that. The question smacks of heteronormativity in a big way too, assuming that similarly gendered people don’t objectify or make gestures toward each other. It’s important to me to address bias and assumptions whenever possible, in myself and in others when appropriate.

So, I’ll come right out and name the privilege pieces that I can claim. I’m white, cis-gender, highly educated, lower-middle class, able bodied, neuro-typical. There are other ways in which I’m not privileged. I’m female, queer, polyamorous, kinky, alternatively spiritual, and overweight. I try to remain aware of when my privilege is in effect, and to do what I can to alleviate the imbalance that can create. That said, I had an experience recently that brought my cis-privilege home for me to a new level.

This week I attended the volunteer orientation for the Creating Change conference, put on by the National LGBTQ Task Force, which happens to be in Denver this year. I’ve never been to the conference before, but it looks like a fabulous week full of activism and leadership and exploration into how to build a more equitable and friendly culture for all types of people. They took over a large hotel downtown, and resigned all the bathrooms Gender Neutral. I understand and fully support this, but my reactions to it included a few surprises. Looking at both doors, not sure which one I should use, thinking to myself “What if I pick the ‘wrong’ one, and someone using a urinal is uncomfortable with my being there? What if I need to dispose of menstrual supplies? Is it cool to throw them out in the regular trash? Or do I need to pack them out?” I found myself waiting nearby, half hoping to see someone else enter or leave one of the doors, so I’d better know where I belonged. Then the a-ha hit that this was cis-privilege in action. These kind of questions arise for non-cis people all the time. I got a little delighted by this realization, and dove into my discomfort, and just went into a bathroom.


The experience left me with an increased awareness of the variety of experiences people can have in a world so steeped in binary assumptions, and furthered my desire to be an active ally in the realm of gender expression. Part of being responsible with one’s privilege is learning to use it consciously in the service of those without it. The journey of awareness doesn’t really stop. It deepens and takes on more subtlety in texture and nuance. It’s a fantastic journey to take though! 


No comments:

Post a Comment